Friday, August 26, 2016

Today's Logical Fallacy is...There Is No Alternative!

(TINA , Get Over It, the fait accompli, Taboo, I wish I had a magic wand.)

An extension of the false dichotomy, this fallacy occurs when someone states that a position must be taken because there are no other realistic alternatives, that all other options are irrelevant, or that since a decision has been made, there’s no going back. While it may be that the position being supported is the best position, outright dismissing other alternatives suppresses critical thinking. It relies on the acceptance of the inevitable (regardless of whether or not it is inevitable) by suggesting that we are powerless to do otherwise.


Examples:

"What can we do about high gas prices? As Secretary of Energy I wish I had a magic wand, but I don't." [shrug]

"No, you can't quit piano lessons. I wish I had a magic wand and could teach you piano overnight, but I don't, so like it or not, you have to keep on practicing."

“We have to increase tuition. We’re not getting enough money from the state to support teacher and administrator salaries, so it’s our only option. You might as well just accept it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment